Friday, June 11, 2010

Summer Vacation :)

My summer vacation began with a school-sponsored trip to The Olympic Village in Lake Placid, NY with colleagues for a conference.







But, we officially started our summer vacation together on Monday (6/7) with a trip to Michigan.  We'll spend just over a week having our garage door replaced, yeah!!!, tearing apart interior garage walls in the hopes of re-insulating and drywalling them, doing some long-overdue yard work, and hosting some friends for an evening gathering.  (Ts too kind; he did this work while I plugged along on my summer vacation homework wishing I could have helped with the manual labor.)




Upon our return to Appleton, we'll pack up the RAV and head south to Florida where we will vacation at Disney with D's brother, and then help him with some home improvement tasks in Fort Walton Beach... all before July!

One of the obvious perks of summer vacation is the amount of time D and I get to spend together.  Another is leaving school behind for a while and not having to think about prepping for class or planning out my next unit.  Unfortunately, modern technology never really lets me get away that easy.  Take for instance the following email I received from a parent one week (6/10) into vacation:


Dear Teachers,

Our family is going to be gone on vacation from Monday, Oct. 26- Monday, Nov. 2.  Would you please e-mail us a list of homework?  We want to be sure she has it completed before we leave.  If she has already finished it and turned it in can you let us know that she has turned in her required work? 

Thank you!  We greatly appreciate your help.


I'm not even certain that I have this student in class next semester!!!  I've had this person in class in the past and I'm seriously contemplating telling the parents that our assignments for that time period are going to be performing 150 push-ups, 1000 crunches, and running three miles per day, logging that exercise, and writing about the importance of good health and nutrition.

Anyone else want some homework from me?

2 comments:

  1. What else could the parent expect of you now? Lay it on thick...

    You two always plan the best home improvement projects each year. I like to live vicariously through your home maintenance.

    Also, have a great time in FL!
    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  2. Only if it's working on your Peterbilt...

    ReplyDelete