Part of reaching a destination is learning along the way:
• I vow to uphold my "keep it real" commitment so that the work I do will matter to a teacher or student somewhere. I met lots of very passionate people flinging names and slinging "theoretical frameworks" this week. Slap me when I get this exciting.
• Talking about tomato planting, growth, and harvesting with a random stranger can sure make an hour's bus wait much more pleasant, especially after the bus I was to take flew past us without thought of stopping.
• This is a welcoming space. I've met so many genuinely kind and welcoming people this week. They've gone out of their way to make themselves available for questions. It's affirming that community is a value shared by those I'll journey with.
• Mowing one's lawn is highly therapeutic and rewarding (this was after all the third time I’ve ever mowed a lawn).
• Lego blocks provide an invigorating way to begin a college-level introduction to composition course. Apparently, 18 year old freshmen still enjoy playing with blocks, and if nothing else, they can spend the semester wondering who ever allowed me to become their instructor. Hmm, not much different from previous high school teaching. (They are thankfully an eager bunch. Our first class went well and it feels great to be back in the classroom.)
• Wearing sneakers with dress clothes is worth swallowing what small semblance of fashion instinct I may have in favor of blister-less feet when walking between the bus station and campus. And the librarian who led the intro workshop I attended on Friday was sporting the same look, so heck, if this grad school thing doesn’t work out, there’s always another exciting option: running up and down stacks!
• I can’t practice yoga with 100 people in a room designed for 25. On the agenda for next week: find a new location for minimalist exercising.
- D
Saturday, September 12, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
All very important points. I am glad that your comp class went well. Is the eagerness different than the high schoolers or teachers you are used to working with?
ReplyDeleteMarie
OMG! I just got back from two weeks in Germany and found your postcard in our held mail. I am caught completely off guard, but not surprised. Congratulations on your newest endeavors. Terry's got quite the commute!
ReplyDeleteThought of you today, the Pres was in Madison today talking about education and charter schools. I actually saw the motorcade go by on the Beltline. It was eerie to see the Beltline totally deserted. It was quite the impressive sight as the entourage zipped by at 60mph.
ReplyDeleteDanielle and Terry,
ReplyDeleteLove the blog and glad things are going so well. This house looks great and I know what a help your mom is. I will be visiting you sometime in the future - your mom and I will have to consult our calendars and set a time that will work for all of us.
Love and hugs to both of you,
Mrs. Clyde